El Pueblo de Los Angeles

El Pueblo de Los Angeles

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles (the Town of Our Lady Queen of the Angels) was the Spanish civilian pueblo founded in 1781, which by the 20th century became the American metropolis of Los Angeles.

The Pueblo de los Ángeles was the second town created during the Spanish colonization of the Alta California portion of the territory of Las Californias. El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula—’The Town of Our Lady the Queen of Angels of the Little Portion’ was founded twelve years after the first Spanish presidio, the Presidio of San Diego, and mission, Mission San Diego de Alcalá, were established in 1769. The original settlement consisted of eleven families recruited mostly from Sonora y Sinaloa Province. As new settlers arrived and soldiers from the surrounding presidios retired to civilian life in Los Angeles, the town became the principal urban center of southern Alta California, whose social and economic life revolved around the raising of livestock and the ranches devoted to this.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

November 19, 2012 · 1:18 pm

Subway Terminal Building / Metro 417 – 1925

Subway Terminal Building / Metro 417 - 1925

The Subway Terminal Building, now known as Metro 417, is a Renaissance Revival building in Downtown Los Angeles located at 417 South Hill Street. It was designed by architects Schultze and Weaver and was built in 1925. It served as the downtown terminus for the “Hollywood Subway” branch of the Pacific Electric Railway Interurban rail line. Currently it is a luxury apartment building. It is located near Pershing Square. When the LACMTA Red Line, the replacement for the Hollywood Subway, was built, the Pershing Square station was located nearby.

As street traffic increased in Downtown Los Angeles, the Pacific Electric Railway undertook its most ambitious project, a dedicated right of way into downtown by use of a subway. The existing downtown terminal in the Pacific Electric Building at Sixth and Main was reached by shared street running. Responding to the traffic congestion that clogged the streets, the California Railroad Commission in 1922 issued Order No. 9928, which called for the Pacific Electric to construct a subway allowing passengers to bypass downtown’s busy streets altogether. Plans for the “Hollywood Subway,” as the project came to be known, were drafted as early as February of 1924, and ground was broken in May of the same year.

The Subway Terminal Building was built to conform to the 150 foot height limit imposed on all downtown construction. The other end of the subway line emerged at the surface at the Belmont Tunnel / Toluca Substation and Yard.

After 18 months of construction and $1.25 million in expenditures, the Subway officially opened to the public on December 1, 1925. The trains, which traveled a distance of slightly over one mile, transported passengers between the tunnel’s mouth near the intersection of Beverly and Glendale Blvds. in Westlake, and the Subway Terminal Building.

The early years of the Subway were widely met with success, as the Hollywood Subway emerged as one of Los Angeles’s most popular modes of public transit throughout the 1920s and 1930s. Ridership hit an all-time high during the World War II-era; in 1944 – considered to have been the Subway’s peak – trains carried an estimated 65,000 passengers through the tunnel each day.

The unprecedented growth which characterized the Los Angeles region in the postwar years ultimately led to the closure of the Hollywood Subway in the 1950s. Increasing dependence on the automobile as well as the emergence of a complex network of freeways throughout Southern California drastically reduced ridership, forcing Pacific Electric to dismantle its Subway in 1955. The last train to carry passengers – carrying a banner reading “To Oblivion” – traversed the tunnel on the morning of June 19, 1955. Shortly thereafter, Pacific Electric removed the tracks and trains from the tunnel and closed the station within the Subway Terminal Building.

The building served as an office building for many years. The tunnel remained intact until December of 1967, when the section from Flower Street to just west of Figueroa Street was filled in.

When the LACMTA Red Line, the replacement for the Hollywood Subway, was built, the Pershing Square station was located nearby.

As of 2007, the Subway Terminal Building has been renovated as “Metro 417”, a luxury apartment building. The historic Florentine exterior is being threatened by the construction of a 76 story skyscraper, Park Fifth. It is historic cultural monument #177

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Pacific Electric Building – 1905 (Los Angeles, California)

Pacific Electric Building - 1905 (Los Angeles, California)

Also known as the Huntington Building. Designed by Thornton Fitzhugh and opened in 1905, the Pacific Electric Building was built as a terminal building for the Pacific Electric Railway Company from which trolley cars operated from 1905 until 1950. It also served as a commercial building during the post-PE years, headquarters of the exclusive Johnathan Club, and film location for movies such as Forrest Gump, Spiderman, and LA Confidential. The building was redesigned into lofts in 2001. The current parking garage entrance was once the trolley barn entrance for the Yellow and Red Cars.

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

The Brewery (Los Angeles, California)

The Brewery (Los Angeles, California)

It’s called the Brewery Art Colony because it includes the old Eastside and Pabst Blue Ribbon breweries. Carlson Industries bought the Brewery site in 1980 and spent two years gutting the place, removing large tanks and pipes as it reshaped each building into workable spaces.
Originally, the idea was to rent space to any kind of business, but the developer decided to open it up as a place for about 300 artists to gather and get creative.
The Brewery Art Colony sits on 18 acres. Twenty-one former warehouses (with an old Edison power plant chimney dating from 1903) house work studios, living lofts, one restaurant and a bunch of art galleries.
The Brewery is intended to feel like the campus of an alternative college, filled with youthful energy and an artsy experimental subculture.
With practitioners working in of a variety of media, the common message seems to be: Create! The owner, Carlson Industries, will not rent to those without artistic ambitions.
That is if there are lofts available, which hasn’t been the case for years.
Billed as the largest live-and-work artists’ colony in the world, there are about 300 studios and 400 people actually living here. (Most residents are men.)
These are leased apartment lofts ranging in size from 1,200 square feet to 6,000 square feet. Monthly rents are about $1.25 to $2.00 per square foot, depending on the size of the unit. Leases are for a minimum of one year.
The units are industrial-looking and barebones, which make them easier to customize to individual tastes. The design is up to the individual tenant.
The Brewery hosts a semi-annual event where studios and lofts are open to the public.
Twice a year, over 100 Brewery residents open their studios to the public in what’s called the Brewery Art Walk (which also includes a group show of participating artists’ work at The Brewery’s I-5 Gallery).

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

The new Los Angeles Police Headquarters (Los Angeles, California)

The new Los Angeles Police Headquarters (Los Angeles, California)

This site was previously occupied by the old Caltrans building (seen in the left-hand photo above) which was built in 1958, and which stood for nearly 50 years.

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Bradbury Building – 1893 (Los Angeles, California)

Bradbury Building - 1893 (Los Angeles, California)

This iconic LA building is known for its internal atrium and skylight. Built in 1893, it is most famous for its pivotal scenes in the sci-fi movie “Blade Runner”.

1 Comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Herald Examiner Building – 1914 (Los Angeles, California)(Los Angeles, California)

Herald Examiner Building - 1914 (Los Angeles, California)(Los Angeles, California)

The Herald Examiner building has been used nearly exclusively as a film location since the notorious Los Angeles newspaper, once owned by William Randolph Hearst, closed down in 1989. This landmark building was built by Julia Morgan, who so impressed Hearst with the design that he commissioned her to build San Simeon. The Herald Examiner is still owned by the Hearst family, and is managed by Hollywood Locations. It has been used in many films including Strange Days, Cable Guy, and The Usual Suspects.

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized