600 W 9TH ST #209 | $439,000
Agent: Rafik Ghazarian – Phone:213.221.7579
600 W 9TH ST #209 | $439,000
Agent: Rafik Ghazarian – Phone:213.221.7579
This unpaved road (some of which is now known as Silver Lake Ct.) was the former route of the Glendale and Burbank interurban railway lines operated by Pacific Electric. The line crossed Fletcher Avenue over a viaduct before continuing along a hillside ledge to the Monte Sano stop at Glendale Blvd. and Riverside Drive. The line was constructed in 1904 and abandoned in 1955.
Once again overlooking the valley, the Mount Lowe train made a broad sweep around Circular Bridge. The design of the bridge, more at a trestle, was to allow the trolley to negotiate a 12-foot switch back, over 500 feet of track, at a 4% grade in a 340° turn. The wooden structure resembled a section of roller coaster offering an awesome sight over the side of the car looking almost 100 feet straight down.
The beautiful three-story Rubio Pavilion and Hotel (1893 – 1909) was the center of tourist activities in Rubio Canyon. Hotel Rubio had 10 hotel rooms, a below-deck dining room and dance floor. Over a mile of planked walks and stairways with more than a thousand steps led to nine of the beautiful waterfalls of Rubio Canyon. At night, over 2,000 illuminated Japanese lanterns lit the pathway. The Pavilion was one end of the Rubio Incline where passengers experienced a thrilling ride up the 59% average grade of the Incline in “White Chariots”, open-air cars moved by powerful machinery.
But the glory of the Rubio Canyon attractions did not last long. By 1903, storm damage from boulders in Rubio Creek had washed away much of the underfloor, the lower part of the Pavilion was declared unsafe and the hotel was closed. In 1909, an unseasonable electrical storm and flash flood tore out the Rubio Pavilion and buried one of the caretakers’ children in the mud. The injured parents spent years in the hospital recuperating from the devastation that left them trapped in the rubble of the Pavilion. Three of the children, who knew how to actuate the incline cars, escaped to the top of the incline. Rubio Canyon became just a transfer point from the Pacific Electric standard passenger trolley cars to the Incline cars
This project will transform the community by celebrating and embracing the unique character of this vibrant Los Angeles neighborhood, while at the same time pro
viding the “best-in-class” housing, office and retail that the area deserves. The new improved layout will provide convenient and easy connections to schools, shops, restaurants, jobs, mass transit, freeways and local neighborhoods.
Built in 1927 as a distribution center for the company’s mail order department. The building served that function until 1992, when Sears closed its Los Angeles distribution center and sold the building. Though Sears still operates a retail store on the ground floor, the rest of the enormous complex has remained vacant since 1992. The “Sears” logo on the tower is lit up at night and can be seen for miles around. Considered an Eastside landmark building contemporaneous to the Bullocks Wilshire.
Founded in 1989 by Bob Bates and Irwin Jaeger, Inner-City Arts was created to provide arts education at a time when the Los Angeles Unified School District had eliminated most of its arts programs due to budget cuts.
Holding studios, classrooms and performance space, with parking on the rooftop of one of the buildings, ICA provides arts instruction to students from 30 elementary schools, three middle schools and four high schools. Many of the kids it serves live in the neighborhood, others come from families that are chronically homeless.
The ICA job was the first substantial commission Michael Maltzan landed after leaving Frank Gehry’s office to start his own practice.
On the initial phase of the nonprofit’s building campaign, which was completed in 1994, Maltzan teamed up with Marmol Radziner and Associates to turn an old auto repair shop into a high-ceilinged suite of classrooms and studios while adding a new ceramics building and small outbuilding. The new construction includes a wedge-shaped library, a black box theater, office space for the staff and an expanded ceramics wing.
Maltzan, who worked pro bono on the project, approached it from the beginning as a kind of urban planning. After the first phase of construction, as ICA worked to acquire adjacent parcels of land, he prepared not one but two master plans for the organization. The rhythm and ultimately the personality of the finished product is drawn largely from the way you move through it from sidewalk to garden to studio and back again. Each of the new buildings is pulled or crisply folded back at one or all of its corners. A pair of towers, with an ICA logo running vertically, allow it to be seen from several blocks away.
El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles (the Town of Our Lady Queen of the Angels) was the Spanish civilian pueblo founded in 1781, which by the 20th century became the American metropolis of Los Angeles.
The Pueblo de los Ángeles was the second town created during the Spanish colonization of the Alta California portion of the territory of Las Californias. El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula—’The Town of Our Lady the Queen of Angels of the Little Portion’ was founded twelve years after the first Spanish presidio, the Presidio of San Diego, and mission, Mission San Diego de Alcalá, were established in 1769. The original settlement consisted of eleven families recruited mostly from Sonora y Sinaloa Province. As new settlers arrived and soldiers from the surrounding presidios retired to civilian life in Los Angeles, the town became the principal urban center of southern Alta California, whose social and economic life revolved around the raising of livestock and the ranches devoted to this.
The Subway Terminal Building, now known as Metro 417, is a Renaissance Revival building in Downtown Los Angeles located at 417 South Hill Street. It was designed by architects Schultze and Weaver and was built in 1925. It served as the downtown terminus for the “Hollywood Subway” branch of the Pacific Electric Railway Interurban rail line. Currently it is a luxury apartment building. It is located near Pershing Square. When the LACMTA Red Line, the replacement for the Hollywood Subway, was built, the Pershing Square station was located nearby.
As street traffic increased in Downtown Los Angeles, the Pacific Electric Railway undertook its most ambitious project, a dedicated right of way into downtown by use of a subway. The existing downtown terminal in the Pacific Electric Building at Sixth and Main was reached by shared street running. Responding to the traffic congestion that clogged the streets, the California Railroad Commission in 1922 issued Order No. 9928, which called for the Pacific Electric to construct a subway allowing passengers to bypass downtown’s busy streets altogether. Plans for the “Hollywood Subway,” as the project came to be known, were drafted as early as February of 1924, and ground was broken in May of the same year.
The Subway Terminal Building was built to conform to the 150 foot height limit imposed on all downtown construction. The other end of the subway line emerged at the surface at the Belmont Tunnel / Toluca Substation and Yard.
After 18 months of construction and $1.25 million in expenditures, the Subway officially opened to the public on December 1, 1925. The trains, which traveled a distance of slightly over one mile, transported passengers between the tunnel’s mouth near the intersection of Beverly and Glendale Blvds. in Westlake, and the Subway Terminal Building.
The early years of the Subway were widely met with success, as the Hollywood Subway emerged as one of Los Angeles’s most popular modes of public transit throughout the 1920s and 1930s. Ridership hit an all-time high during the World War II-era; in 1944 – considered to have been the Subway’s peak – trains carried an estimated 65,000 passengers through the tunnel each day.
The unprecedented growth which characterized the Los Angeles region in the postwar years ultimately led to the closure of the Hollywood Subway in the 1950s. Increasing dependence on the automobile as well as the emergence of a complex network of freeways throughout Southern California drastically reduced ridership, forcing Pacific Electric to dismantle its Subway in 1955. The last train to carry passengers – carrying a banner reading “To Oblivion” – traversed the tunnel on the morning of June 19, 1955. Shortly thereafter, Pacific Electric removed the tracks and trains from the tunnel and closed the station within the Subway Terminal Building.
The building served as an office building for many years. The tunnel remained intact until December of 1967, when the section from Flower Street to just west of Figueroa Street was filled in.
When the LACMTA Red Line, the replacement for the Hollywood Subway, was built, the Pershing Square station was located nearby.
As of 2007, the Subway Terminal Building has been renovated as “Metro 417”, a luxury apartment building. The historic Florentine exterior is being threatened by the construction of a 76 story skyscraper, Park Fifth. It is historic cultural monument #177
Also known as the Huntington Building. Designed by Thornton Fitzhugh and opened in 1905, the Pacific Electric Building was built as a terminal building for the Pacific Electric Railway Company from which trolley cars operated from 1905 until 1950. It also served as a commercial building during the post-PE years, headquarters of the exclusive Johnathan Club, and film location for movies such as Forrest Gump, Spiderman, and LA Confidential. The building was redesigned into lofts in 2001. The current parking garage entrance was once the trolley barn entrance for the Yellow and Red Cars.