El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles (the Town of Our Lady Queen of the Angels) was the Spanish civilian pueblo founded in 1781, which by the 20th century became the American metropolis of Los Angeles.
The Pueblo de los Ángeles was the second town created during the Spanish colonization of the Alta California portion of the territory of Las Californias. El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula—’The Town of Our Lady the Queen of Angels of the Little Portion’ was founded twelve years after the first Spanish presidio, the Presidio of San Diego, and mission, Mission San Diego de Alcalá, were established in 1769. The original settlement consisted of eleven families recruited mostly from Sonora y Sinaloa Province. As new settlers arrived and soldiers from the surrounding presidios retired to civilian life in Los Angeles, the town became the principal urban center of southern Alta California, whose social and economic life revolved around the raising of livestock and the ranches devoted to this.